Starting December 1, 2017, it is with great excitement that I announce my permanent move to New York. In my place, I've carefully chosen my talented successor, Laura Hanks, LAc with Golden Summit Acupuncture to treat patients out of the 2929 Summit Street location in Oakland. You can book with her now. You will be in great hands. In gratitude, Rhoda
Many women do not realize that we have choices when it comes to our health. Regular visits to your OB/GYN are a crucial part of self-care, and yet alternative therapies can be an excellent complement to conventional western medicine for women’s health issues.
Practitioners of Chinese Medicine have been ministering to women’s health issues For more than 2000 years. Successful child bearing was a high priority in ancient Chinese agrarian culture, and since that time, diagnoses, acupuncture treatments, and herbal formulations have been refined meticulously to address female and reproductive issues.
Certain conditions respond extremely well to Chinese Medicine, including:
- Low fertility
- PMS headaches, irritability, bloating, breast tenderness, mood swings, acne, and stomach upsets
- Menopausal symptoms
- Menstruation imbalances like dysmenorrhea (painful), and excess or irregular menstruation
- Small uterine fibroids, including preventing their return after removal
- Excess vaginal discharge and itching
- Genital area pain and skin conditions
- Absence of menstruation (depending on the cause)
Chinese medicine is also excellent for encouraging a trouble-free pregnancy. Indeed, it is often the only recourse to toxic medications, which can harm the fetus. Common pregnancy issues that respond well to Chinese medicine include:
- Nausea relief (morning sickness)
- Holding a pregnancy after frequent miscarriages
- Allergies during pregnancy
- Lower and upper back pain
- Fetus positioning (making sure the baby’s head is down in the final weeks of pregnancy)
- Inducing labor if necessary
Acupuncture and Chinese herb treatments are also very effective for:
- Postpartum depression
- Insufficient or slow lactation
- Persistent lochial discharge (bleeding too long after delivery)
- Decreased sex drive
- Pain in upper back and arms from holding the baby
Besides caring for physical ailments, Rhoda also makes sure you feel HEARD, NURTURED, and SAFE.
When visiting a doctor for pain or discomfort, women often get the message that there’s “nothing wrong” with us, or, conversely, that our natural body processes should be treated as disease. Physicians often do not listen to the details of our problems, or they make us feel that we’re complaining too much. Women’s particular histories and backgrounds are often ignored, and symptoms are often treated with the same drug or hormone used for all women even if it doesn’t fit the individual case.
Rhoda is committed to hearing what you have to say, validating your experience, and valuing each woman’s uniqueness. Because there are often complex emotional factors involved in a woman’s dis-ease, hearing you fully helps Rhoda find the roots of your physical complaints.
Rhoda cares deeply for her patients. She will make sure you are warm, comfortable, and surrounded by a soothing atmosphere. You’ll relax with music, the sound of ocean waves, a guided meditation, or simple silence.
Rhoda is committed to protecting your personal and medical information. Except when necessary for insurance billing or by law, she will never share private information, and only with your full knowledge and consent. She will never share any personal information with anyone unless you specifically request it. She will always explain everything about her methods and treatments, in language that empowers you to be part of your treatment decisions.